Menu Close

How do I report a car accident in NY?

How do I report a car accident in NY?

For insurance purposes, a Report of Motor Vehicle Accident should be filed with the Department of Motor Vehicles. This form can be found online at, or at your local precinct or police service area.

What do you do after an accident in New York?

What To Do After a New York Car Accident

  1. Stop and Notify Police. New York State law requires any person involved in an accident to stop at the scene.
  2. Get Help. If anyone is hurt and requires medical attention, call 911 for help.
  3. Exchange Information.
  4. Witness Information.
  5. Notify Your Insurance.

Can you still file a police report after an accident NY?

Generally, you are required to file a police report if the accident resulted in bodily injury, death, or more than $500 in property damage. The same applies if your vehicle is no longer operable and requires towing.

Do you have to call the police after an accident New York?

After a motor vehicle accident in New York state, calling the police is not a requirement unless one of three conditions applies: Someone was injured. Someone was killed. Property damages in excess of $1,000 occurred.

Do I have to report an accident to the DMV in NY?

You are required by the NY State Vehicle and Traffic Law to file an accident report if you are involved in any accident where there is damage to the property of one individual (including yourself) that is more than $1,000.

Do I have to report a car accident?

You should report the accident to your insurance provider even if you’re not planning to make a car insurance claim. This is because the other driver might decide to make a claim without you knowing. You should call them as soon after the accident as possible.

How quickly do you need to report a car accident?

After being involved in a car accident, you should report it to your car insurance provider as soon as you can. Many insurers specify that you need to inform them about an accident within 24 hours of the incident.

Posted in Mixed